Social Hire Design Sprint

UX Consultant (Jul 2017)


Day 1

The very first task was to spell out the long-term goal in simple terms. Next was to ask questions about what was crucial to achieving that goal, and what was necessary to prevent it from failure.

 
 
FullSizeRender.jpg
 
 

Then, we gathered all of the key characters in the experience, and drew a map of the product experience from start to a single finish. We had a service-side user, a coach, and an end-user, a student. And because the product was largely aimed at kids, the parent had to be taken into consideration. With these key players, we could map a likely scenario.

The SME’s and Stakeholders were not readily available for discussion, so we resorted to the Executive Summary to give us an idea of what leadership intends for the product to accomplish on behalf of the business. With his information we could be sure that we were solving the problem in the right way.

 
 

This map allowed me to visualize the journey of all users.

 
 

Day 2

After writing everything on the whiteboard, we took time to ask as many questions as we could possible think of. We did this by writing them on sticky notes in the form of “How Might We” questions. Once we had accumulated a large amount of critical analysis, we posted them on the board and grouped them.

Using stickers, we voted on what we thought were the most critical questions, and placed them on the map correspondingly. The decider of the group then circled the most important player, the most important event and the most important HMW question. We decided that the most important part was when he student was faced with the decision to consult their parents. We knew we needed and experience that was trustworthy, legitimate, and accessible.

 
 
 "How Might We?" questions were written on sticky notes and later categorized, voted on.

"How Might We?" questions were written on sticky notes and later categorized, voted on.

 
 

Day 3

We took a day off to think about existing products that may have features that would solve some of our problems. When we reconvened the next day, we took turns demoing other products. While everyone presented, I sketched them on the board. From these different product features, we were able to come up with a frankensteins-like product from bits and pieces of proven products.

 
 
1_Whietboard.jpg
 
 

Next each of us sketched out our best solutions by putting together our favorite solutions from the lighting demos. This took three timed rounds of sketching, each phase more detailed the the last. Once we had our final sketches, we voted on our favorite.

 
 

Sketches

 

In order to make the prototyping process easier, a storyboard was created showing every state in the product flow. The storyboard was presented and approved.

 
 
 

Storyboard

 
 

Day 4

Using the sketched designs and the flow from the storyboard, I created a quick prototype by combining parts from different apps such as AirBnB and Instagram. Once we were done, we had a clickable prototype that we could then put to user testing, and study the effects of our design.

 
 

The prototype was made with Sketch and Craft, combining parts from different apps.